Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sweater!

So, that Baby Surprise Jacket I knitted a couple months ago was supposed to be for William, but it turned out too small. He was so disappointed, so I promised him a sweater (in a yellow shade - his favorite color!) that actually fits him. Here's the end product:



Here are the deets:

Pattern: One for the Whole Clan Aran Sweater

Yarn: Knit Picks Swish Worsted in Gold (I ordered 7 balls and used 6 I think)

Needles: US 5 and 7

The only real modifications I made were to reverse the cables so they twist away from each other (the pattern had the same cable on each side) and I made the sleeves longer to try to make it fit him for a longer period of time. (Boy, he's growing like a weed!!) I worked both sleeves at the same time on a long circular needle.

It's a very nice pattern - not too complicated, but interesting enough that you don't get bored. The child size is also an easy sweater construction - just straight sides on the front and back, no shaping on the body at all. (I guess I should mention that the pattern is sized for children and adults - the adult sized sweater has more complicated cables, and is more fitted in the armhole shaping.) I did a three needle bind off for the shoulder seams, with live stitches, and I worked the neckband similarly - instead of binding off and tacking down, I picked up stitches on the inside and worked the bind off at the same time. I was worried the neck might be too tight, but it actually turned out quite stretchy - I made sure to work my bind off loosely- so I was pleased. Oh, and another modification I made was to work a purl row at the neckband turning point, to aid in the neckband laying flat.





He loves his sweater, and has worn it several times already. I'm happy with the yarn choice - it is machine washable, and the cables really stand out nicely. My only complaint is that it seems to pill easily. But overall, it think it was a success!! William certainly thinks so! :-)

No comments: